Dangerous Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat
Your pooch is a valued member of your family and your buddy so you might think it’s okay to share your foods with your beloved companion. Unfortunately, many human treats are not good for canines. This article explores dangerous foods for your dog.
Grapes and Raisins
Grapes and raisins are favored snacks for young and old alike, but they can lead to kidney failure in dogs. When consumed, a dog often experiences vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy within 12 hours of ingestion.
The symptoms often progress to dehydration and increased urination followed by decreased urination as the kidneys start to fail.
If your dog consumes grapes or raisins then you need to seek the immediate advice of your veterinarian to avoid long term kidney damage or failure.
Raw Bread Dough
During the holiday season, its common to bake bread. The enticing smells can entice your dog to try the dough.
Sadly, raw dough contains yeast which starts to expand in the canine’s stomach upon ingestion. It can cause tissue damage and make breathing difficult or impossible for the animal.
Onions and Garlic
Scallions, chives, onions, and garlic are all toxic to dogs. They contain certain compounds that can lead to anemia and red blood cell problems. Garlic is even more dangerous than onions.
Signs of poisoning might not appear for several days after ingestion. They include weakness, lethargy, and orange-tinged urine. Akita and Shiba Inus are extremely sensitive.
Xylitol is a popular artificial sweetener found in many candies, bakes goods, and sugarless gum. It is even in tough paste; cough drops and chewable vitamins. Ingestion of the sweetener by a canine can quickly lead to life threatening drops in blood sugar and liver damage.
Dogs will often vomit, lose coordination, and suffer seizures after ingesting xylitol. A single piece of gum that contains xylitol can kill a 10-pound dog. If you suspect that your dog has ingested xylitol, then you should seek immediate veterinary assistance.
Macadamia nuts are a delicacy as one of the most expensive nuts. Although they are an excellent source of fiber for humans, the nuts are highly toxic for canines and can even be fatal.
Consumption of only 2.4 g/kg of macadamia nuts can quickly lead to poisoning. After ingestion, the dog will exhibit paralysis, tremors, vomiting, and rapid heartbeat.
Fruit Seeds and Pits
Simple fruit seeds and pits, such as those from watermelon and peaches, can rapidly obstruct a dog’s digestive tract. Many stone fruit pits also contain cyanide which can lead to death if consumed in high enough levels. Although fruit seems like a healthy choice for your pooch, you should avoid them.
Chocolate is a common treat for humans but can be fatal for dogs. The sweet contains a chemical known as theobromine which is toxic in canines and can lead to abnormal heartbeats, seizure, tremors, and death. Avoid feeding your dog any chocolate, whether sweet, dark, or unsweetened.
If your dog should accidentally ingest any of the above foods, you should immediately seek veterinary care.